Online Love Tips
Need online love tips?
If you're venturing into the world of online dating, it's important to be aware of what could go wrong.
Emotional maturity plays a big role in having satisfying encounters online. You have to know exactly what your needs are and find ways to fulfil those needs without putting yourself in harm's way.
Once you're starting to communicate with a potential date in private messages, make it clear what your own relationship status is. If integrity means anything to you, you will tell the truth.
Try to get a good picture of what the other person's relationship status is as well. If either of you are married or in a committed relationship, walk away. It's the right thing to do.
If they're between relationships, try to figure out whether they're just on the rebound, looking for a bit of fun, or whether they're still hoping to get back with the ex. You don't want to be too intrusive, but the better you understand the situation, the more heartache you will save yourself in the long run.
Top Online Dating Tips
Here are a few things to keep in mind:
* Don't take online dating too seriously. If you're desperate to be in a committed relationship (read getting married and having babies yesterday), the Internet is probably not the best place to find a life partner. That's not to say that it couldn't happen; there are just a lot of variables that have to be taken into account. For example, distance is one. Chances are that the 'perfect' online date lives on the other side of the world, so a face-to-face meeting is just about impossible - at least for a fair amount of time. Secondly, being in an online relationship is vastly different from the real thing. There are none of the run-of-the-mill annoyances that you have to deal with when you see someone day in and day out.
* Be aware that people portray themselves in the best possible way online. An internet persona is very different from how we are in real life. People tend to put an idealised version of themselves out there, in other words how you would really like others to see you. Rarely do we disclose our darker side - and it's just too easy to bend the truth of what really went wrong in prior relationships. It's therefore fair to say that the person on the other side is not quite as perfect for you as you may think they are based on online communication.
* Protect yourself as best you can against hustlers. Yes, they're out there and their single purpose is to take what they can get from who-ever is willing to give. Be sensible in terms of giving out personal information. You do want to meet someone face-to-face as soon as possible if you both fall in love, but you don't want a stalker on your doorstep.
* If you do fall in love with someone online, learn how to manage the frustration of not being able to be with the other person in the sense of a conventional relationship. It's hard to be in love with someone that you can't touch or kiss or snuggle into. As human beings, we want and need the intimacy of a lover's body to hug and to hold. If you don't deal with that yearning appropriately, it can easily lead to conflict and escalate to anger. It can also trip you into doing things that you may later regret, for example send private messages or photos into cyberspace that could come back and haunt you.
Online dating can be fun, as long as you keep your head together. Enjoy!
If you enjoyed our online dating tips page, feel free to visit the following pages too:
* Finding Love on the Internet
* Romantic Date Ideas
* Romantic Love Letters to Copy
* Romantic Text Messages
(From Online Love Tips back to Cyberlove)
(From Online Love Tips back to Healing Love Notes home page)
If you found our Online Love Tips page useful, please tweet it, share it on Facebook, or link to it.